"You will have significant experiences. I hope that you will write them down and keep a record of them, that you will read them from time to time and refresh your memory of those meaningful and significant things. Some may be funny. Some may be significant only to you. Some of them may be sacred and quietly beautiful. Some may build one upon another until they represent a lifetime of special experiences. "

~Gordon B. Hinckley

Friday, September 26, 2008

How do you get it all done?

"Thank God every morning when you get up that you have something to do that day which must be done, whether you like it or not. Being forced to work, and forced to do your best will breed in you temperance and self-control, diligence and strength of will, cheerfulness and content, and a hundred virtues which the idle will never know." ~Charles Kingsley

I needed this today as I have been very fed up with all the things that have to be done when I'd much rather be doing fun things! At least it's helping me be a better person....ugh!

Here's what has been working for me to get all the must do's done so that I can move on to the want to do's:
  • Make a list of all the things that must get done this week (I do this during the weekend sometime)
  • Divide the list so that you do a little bit each day rather than trying to do everything one day & then being totally disappointed when you don't get everything done. Let's be realistic, we always have more than we can do in one day!
  • Set a goal time to have the "must do's" done by each day. Mine is to have everything done by dinner so that I can play after the kids go to bed!
Having a plan has sure helped make things a lot less stressful around our house recently. It seems the busier we get the more we need structure!

What do you do?

3 comments:

stylist to the stars said...

I am so not on top of things like you Heather.
You always seem so organized and together. We just have to have a calander. If it is not on the calendar it doesn't get done.
Your plan seems alot better.

RedWarthen said...

Great organizing idea. Thanks. I'd tell you what I do, but I have nothing set. Something to work on:)

Gosfam said...

great ideas, I am a total list person too, and I just try not to set too high expectations and to not wait until the last minute for things to get done. If I keep it realistic I am more likely to succeed. Working full-time now is crazy!! So a lot of stuff has been waiting for the last minute--oops.