"You will have significant experiences. I hope that you will write them down and keep a record of them, that you will read them from time to time and refresh your memory of those meaningful and significant things. Some may be funny. Some may be significant only to you. Some of them may be sacred and quietly beautiful. Some may build one upon another until they represent a lifetime of special experiences. "

~Gordon B. Hinckley

Thursday, January 8, 2009

An enlightening reminder...

So, at a ridiculously early hour, 5 am, I was awoken by the Daughter shining her trustworthy flashlight in my face and whispering "the lights won't turn on". After calming myself down after being startled awake, I try to listen to her problem. Her problem: she has to go to the bathroom and she can't get the bathroom light on. I think that once again in her half wake stamper that she was turning the fan on instead of the light (this has happened many times in the middle of the night), so I just send her into our bathroom. Moments later she is back in my face whispering about the stupid light again! Come to discover that she really was right, the lights in the bathrooms don't work, and the hallway, and the kitchen, and the dining room, and the furnace, and the water heater, and on and on. Basically everything but our bedrooms and the playroom...what the heck?! After checking breakers, power switches, and making calls we still don't have power. Luckily the power company came out surprisingly fast and discovered that the problem was between our house and the transformer (on their side). They were able to get it all repaired by this afternoon. Don't ask me exactly what was wrong, all I know forsure is it involved digging a big hole and making a muddy mess.

The moral of the story:

1. Be thankful for electricity, as you never know when it might run out. You can't shower, blow dry your hair, do the laundry (it was laundry day, needless to say I have to do it tomorrow), watch your shows, charge your phone, or check your e-mail. Yes, these are all things that I, out of habit, tried to do today!
2. Keep a flashlight near by (with good batteries) or you will be walking around with the stupid lion one that roars every few seconds!

3 comments:

Joleen said...

I'm glad it got fixed...but kinda bummed that you didn't need to come hang out at my house for the afternoon! ;D

Joleen said...

Oh yea, and our flashlight meows!

stylist to the stars said...

Happened tonight we heard a big bang and lights were gone. I was totally unprepared. Makes you thankfull for what you have.

(They came back on in minutes)