"You will have significant experiences. I hope that you will write them down and keep a record of them, that you will read them from time to time and refresh your memory of those meaningful and significant things. Some may be funny. Some may be significant only to you. Some of them may be sacred and quietly beautiful. Some may build one upon another until they represent a lifetime of special experiences. "

~Gordon B. Hinckley

Thursday, February 14, 2008

Valentine's Day

I would like to start out saying that I hate Valentine's Day & all the expected romance. It seems like such a ridiculous holiday. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy making little valentine's, having a fancy dinner & making yummy treats but don't we have anniversaries to celebrate the love we have for our companions?
At our house we still celebrate but we put a little spin on it. Instead of focusing on Randy & I we do lots of family things & talk a lot about how we should love one another & how important friendships are.


Here are some of the things that we did today:


A friendship party at my daughter’s school. They have been talking about how important it is to be kind & how friends are so special. It was so cute & they got to bring a special stuffed friend to the party. She was so excited to show Momo around her school & to have him ride the bus with her.

Here we are looking at all of the Valentine’s that she got from her friends at school.

My son is totally in love with her valentine’s cards & tried to get them every time she put one down.
Every year I make Red Velvet Cake from scratch (aren’t you proud of me, Dad?). This year I did cupcakes & had some friends over to help us decorate & eat them. It was a lot of fun!


We made treats to take to our church party tomorrow. My daughter did everything but put the pan in & out of the oven. It took her so long time doing these that the chocolate was hardening faster than she could smash the m&ms in but they still look yummy! She was so proud of herself & can't wait to take them to the party tomorrow.
We had a fancy dinner all together. Each year I make a fancy dinner & we all eat together on our fancy china by candle light. Yep, our kids are included...
Once the kids were in bed we watched an old favorite movie of ours & had a little snack because we haven't eaten enough already today! : ) Yep...that’s right those are all green m&ms in the popcorn. It's the prefect mix!!!
{this is were I will insert the popcorn picture, if I can ever get it to download....stupid blogger!}

We had a great day together & are so thankful for great family & friends.

1 comment:

Karen Tews Lien said...

Wow! For not liking Valentines Day - you rocked it!