"You will have significant experiences. I hope that you will write them down and keep a record of them, that you will read them from time to time and refresh your memory of those meaningful and significant things. Some may be funny. Some may be significant only to you. Some of them may be sacred and quietly beautiful. Some may build one upon another until they represent a lifetime of special experiences. "

~Gordon B. Hinckley

Tuesday, March 31, 2009

A "SAHM" Rant

Over the last few months, the topic of working vs. not working moms has been swirling around me, causing much frustration. I have been judged many times for my choice to leave the work force and stay home with my kids. However, it wasn't until I over heard people judging other SAHMs I knew that it had really gotten me fired up. I'm fed up with the misguided view of what a Stay At Home Mom does and the judgments that are made against those that are SAHMs and those that are working moms.
Do we just tend to kids, eat bon-bons and watch soaps all day? NO! Do working moms only care about themselves? NO! Are these thoughts way off base? Absolutely, each situation is different.
I have chosen to be a SAHM (though I prefer the term Domestic Diva) and this is why: Parenting is a serious job that requires dedication and constant guidance. Children need to know that they have a caring adult that will be there for them to help them navigate through life's challenges. Not only do we tend to boo-boos, cook meals, and help with homework but we also search for ways to provide opportunities for our children to learn life lessons that will mold them into successful adults (that's the business I'm in!) I entered into this career field (yes, it's a career) for the betterment of MY FAMILY. It was a conscious decision that required a lot of sacrifice and I know that it is well worth all that has been "put aside."
Is there a time and a place for working moms? Absolutely, I was once a working mom, I know it's hard and at times there is just no way to avoid it. I worked while my husband when to college. It was a PERSONAL DECISION that was made after much agonizing thought and many prayers. It was what MY FAMILY needed at the time.
Is one better than the other? Absolutely not! It all comes down to doing what is best for your family.
Do I plan to go back to work again? Yes, once my kids are in school all day I plan to get right back into it, as long as it allows me to be home when my kids are home. Just because they are older does not mean that they will not need love and guidance to safely tread through life.
Regardless of whether we work outside the home or not, let's strive to get to know each other so that we can support each other. The world is in great need of caring women that resist the urge to judge, and get to know others instead.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Agreed! Everything you said is so powerful. I appreciate your comments Heather. I hope you guys are doing well. We miss seeing you guys.

Gosfam said...

Totally agree. I have always had the privilege of being with my girls 24/7 even now that I am working it is at a daycare so they come with mom. There is a time and season, and I am supporting hubby through college so this works for us now. I wouldn't give up being a SAHM for anything. Maybe I am a WAHM not sure :) Anyways I love your post.

Joleen said...

You Rock Heather!
Although I do enjoy my bon-bons and soaps!!
JK- I've NEVER eaten a bon-bon and the last time I saw a soap was when I was at the hospital with my premie twins- who are now 2.
Gotta do whatever is best for your family! :D

Kris said...

LOVE IT! LOVE IT! LOVE IT!