"You will have significant experiences. I hope that you will write them down and keep a record of them, that you will read them from time to time and refresh your memory of those meaningful and significant things. Some may be funny. Some may be significant only to you. Some of them may be sacred and quietly beautiful. Some may build one upon another until they represent a lifetime of special experiences. "

~Gordon B. Hinckley

Tuesday, May 12, 2009

To coupon or not

This is the question I've been chewing on for quite some time. I read the coupon blogs hoping to be inspired. They make it all look so easy! However the amount of time that these ladies put into it is a bit on the ridiculous side. Clipping coupons, running from store to store, researching in hopes of getting that good deal. Maybe if I though of it as a part time job...nope still not feeling it. I do know this, I LOVE to find a good deal. There's something about the thrill of knowing I got something I need (or want) for a great price.

Update: So last night one of the coupon gals had gone through the sales at Target & Albertsons and basically said exactly what to do and where to find the coupons. So I thought, what the heck. I spent the evening print out coupons and making a list in hopes of finally being hooked on the coupon idea.

Here's what I got:
6 bottles of Mayo
4 Bottles of Italian dressing
6 Bottles of BBQ sauce
Orange juice
12 pk Bounty Paper Towels
Bar Keepers cleaner (I didn't have a coupon but need it anyway)
Total $13.56 (saved $30.04)
After looking over the receipt, they didn't take off two of my coupons which would have saved me $2 more dollars.

The verdict: Even after seeing the savings, I'm not sold on all the work that I had to put into the before shopping prep (around two hours). Then to get to the stores to find three of the awesome deal items (Easy Mac, Ritz Crackers, & 100 cal snack packs) at both the stores were out. With the coupons I had prepared, they would have only cost between $0.10 & $.12 each. All that printing & cutting for nothing. It was a total let down. I much prefer going out and being surprised by a good deal rather than setting out thinking I will get an awesome deal and not.

Are you a bargain hunter? Do you clip the coupons? Why or why not?

5 comments:

Alli Blue said...

We've had this discussion. In line at Target I believe:) I like to find a score out of no where!

Joleen said...

I like a good coupon, but don't have the time, energy, or desire to do all the prep work. I like the ones I don't have to work for! :D

Becky said...

I have to have a really good coupon to use it. I like a good deal but I don't search the internet or hop stores just to use a coupon. Waste of gas there's really no savings. I go for things like day after Thanksgiving, Easter, & Halloween. I've tried to keep a little coupon holder in my purse but I forget what's in there and forget to look.

stylist to the stars said...

It is such a good idea. So much time (I don't know if I am will ing to give that up).

Trista said...

I think you may know that I am a coupon-a-holic. I put in about 5 hours a week between searching the deals (made way easier by www.afullcup.com), clipping, sorting, etc. With that 5 hours, I save 72% on my grocery/toiletries bill per month. Plus not only am I saving a ton, but I am constantly adding to my stockpiles if I ever need them. I am able to go for weeks w/o a trip to the store, other than fresh fruits/veggies. It has definitely cut our monthly food budget down. Plus it's so much fun.

I took my mom out yesterday thinking we'd do okay, considering no one around here doubles coupons and I was missing most of my coupon stash, but we ended up spending under $12 for over $180 worth of groceries and toiletries. Heck, Alberston's ended up PAYING us $4.75 for over $20 worth of stuff.

I promise you it's worth it, there is just a HUGE learning curve. I probably spent 6-8 hours per day (okay, night) for the first 3 days just trying to wrap my mind around it all. Anyways, just had to add my two cents. :P Glad you were able to snag a bunch a good deals though!