In an effort to stop my daughter from constantly leaving her room after bedtime (to get a drink, wash her face, go potty, see what everyone else is doing, check on her toys, etc.) and to help her remember to take care of things before she goes to bed, I have issued a hall pass. It sounds a little crazy I am sure but believe me it helps! Here's how it works:
1. Take a index card (or something of that size) and have your child decorate it (gives them pride in it). Some children may need two cards, I only give her one...you know your child, use you own judgment.
2. Find a safe place to keep the card in their room.
3. Whenever they call you back or they leave their room take the card. If they have no cards left then they can't leave their bed. Simple as that!
4. Set an incentive for not using the card and make a chart to record when they do not use the card. We have set a goal of three cards and then we go out together to get a treat, her pick. When she reaches that easily we will up the goal.
Pretty simple and it is helping tremendously!!
The reward
My daughter made it to her first goal of three saved cards so she choose to go to Krispy Kreme. It was super fun and she is already taking about where she wants to go next time. Here is a picture highlight of our first outing:

Aren't they SO cute in their hats?!
Note: I do let her go potty in the middle of the night regardless of whether or not she has a card left nor do I take the card. That is the not the problem we are addressing. She has no problem getting up in the middle of the night, going potty by herself, and quietly getting back in bed without disturbing anyone.
3 comments:
I did something similar with magnets. I gave each of my kids an alphabet magnet (their 1st initial), and that was the pass. I would put it on the metal latch plate on their bedroom door frame. When they got up, they had to bring it to me and that was it, no more getting up. Now that they are a bit older, we don't have such a big problem with it. But for a while there I was pulling my hair out every night trying to keep them in bed!!!
Good luck & keep up the good parenting!! :D
GREAT IDEA!!! Once we get settled again and in a new place I may have to try it.
I am so glad you put this idea on your blog because I have been fighting Madi every night for who knows how long to keep her in bed!!
I'll have to give it a try :)
Post a Comment