"You will have significant experiences. I hope that you will write them down and keep a record of them, that you will read them from time to time and refresh your memory of those meaningful and significant things. Some may be funny. Some may be significant only to you. Some of them may be sacred and quietly beautiful. Some may build one upon another until they represent a lifetime of special experiences. "

~Gordon B. Hinckley

Monday, October 5, 2009

Conference Traditions

The first weekend of October & April we get the opportunity to hear from the General authorities and Leaders of our church (learn about the church here) which is broadcast on TV. These weekends have become a weekend of special activities, Delicious food, and a much needed break from all the craziness that our weekends have become.

Here are some of the fun Traditions that we have established in our home:

Kids activity basket - filled with snacks, drinks, books & magazines, conference coloring books (found online) and coloring supplies.
Reverence Tent - Saturday night, Randy and I set up a Tent for the kids to play in with the rule that they must be reverent so that everyone can hear and feel the messages.
Listening activity - Every session we pick a word that they have to keep an ear out for while they are relaxing. When they hear the word, they make a signal, and get a treat. This year we listened for President Monson's name. When they waved like a queen, I would then handed out 3 Chocolate Chips (Milk or White their pick). The little man didn't get it (he's still a little young) but it helped keep The Daughter's listening ears on while she was busy coloring and playing games.
Wearing our cozy PJs and cuddling - it's a must!
Chili & Cinnamon Rolls - from scratch (sorry no picture...to busy enjoying!)

Just as fast as these conference weekends sneak up on us they are over with, leaving us uplifted and spiritually feed. I am so thankful for the opportunity to listen to our prophet and leaders and for the wonderful spirit that they bring into our homes. I hope that we will be able to retain their messages in our hearts and that we will strive to be kinder to others and serve all those around us.

2 comments:

Gosfam said...

I love General Conference--I may have to steal the Reverence Tent idea--that is genius!!

Joleen said...

I agree...the tent idea may be stolen!! ;D