"You will have significant experiences. I hope that you will write them down and keep a record of them, that you will read them from time to time and refresh your memory of those meaningful and significant things. Some may be funny. Some may be significant only to you. Some of them may be sacred and quietly beautiful. Some may build one upon another until they represent a lifetime of special experiences. "

~Gordon B. Hinckley

Monday, December 20, 2010

The Healing Power of Service

Our feelings are funny things. At times they are hard to control which tends to drive me even more crazy.

Here's one such example: I know a quite a few people that are due to have babies around what would have been my due date. At times it hurts to be around them, to listen to them talk about all the baby preparations and whine about how uncomfortable they are. I want to be excited for them, it really is wonderful for them, but at times the sadness gets to be too much. To the point that I avoid them and the baby conversations.  It's horrible, I know.

So in an effort to get over these feelings, I've been praying for guidance. Around the same time I came across a new quilt pattern that I loved while blog hopping. That's when it came to me...I need to make this quilt for one of these ladies. Picking out the fabrics and getting started was extremely hard. I had teary moments and even thought about quitting at times (something I rarely do). However I kept going with the help of a very supportive husband. Over time the quilt became two quilts and Little by little, things got easier. The sadness was melting away. In it's place was the anticipation of giving these blankets away to be snuggled with and loved. The transformation was amazing. The quilts are now done, They've been sent to there new homes and I can't help but smile when I think of them.

I'd heard that when you are facing struggles, serving others will bless both you and those you serve. I thought I understood it. That was until this experience. My heart was touched, my testimony strengthen. I will never forget the healing power of service.

Here are the finished quilts:



P.S. The quilt pattern came from Obsessively Stitching. It wasn't my first ever quilt, don't let her title fool you. If you are looking to start quilting. Let me know. I have some super easy quilts that are perfect for starting off. They're easier, faster and will teach you all the basics. The other quilting/sewing blog I frequent is Diary of a Quilter. In fact, I have plans to make one of her quilts next...that is after the craziness of the holidays is over. :)

2 comments:

Joleen said...

Awesome!!!
We LOVE the quilt you made Meg. She uses it every day.
Thanks for being such an awesome friend!!!!!!!!

ran shae said...

i loved this : ) thank you for sharing.

and i love the quilts! my sister just gave me her old sewing machine and as soon as these crazy holidays are behind me i plan to sit down and actually figure out what all the buttons and levers are about : ) i'll be coming back to this post for those handy links you mentioned for starting into the world of quilt making!

bless you guys and have a very merry Christmas.