
A few years ago, my husband and I were in
As I walked back through the streets with various shops, I was especially pleased to find a small shop which specialized in nativity sets. I entered and immediately was amazed to find crèches from all over the world. There were soap stone nativities from Africa, olive wood crèches from the Holy Land, coconut crèches from the Polynesian Islands, clay crèches from Central and South America, porcelain nativities from Europe, Native American crèches, and many others.
Some were untouchable, while others were puppets, and especially made for young hands. The one down fall of all, was the cost. I had hoped maybe to add one to our Christmas collection. As I made my way through the store, I noticed a sign in the back of the store which read, “More merchandise upstairs.” As I carefully made my way up the narrow staircase I saw a sign over the nearest room which said, Clearance and mark-downs.
At first I was surprised to see many of the same beautiful and valuable collections from downstairs, in this room. I wondered what scratch or other defect made them end up in the mark down section. As I examined several of the sets trying to determine the flaw, I suddenly realized the common fault. Each set was missing the Christ child. These original valuable sets were virtually worth very little because there was no Christ.
I pondered to myself for a minute and thought, “What would my life be without the Christ child?” “Would it be of little or no value?” Then I realized the obvious. My life is of the greatest value, because I do have Christ. He is my savior, my redeemer, my friend.
Each Christmas when I get out the Nativity sets, I remember this parable and feel grateful for the power and the influence of the precious Babe of Bethlehem in my life.
1 comment:
Love it! Thanks for sharing!!!
Post a Comment