"You will have significant experiences. I hope that you will write them down and keep a record of them, that you will read them from time to time and refresh your memory of those meaningful and significant things. Some may be funny. Some may be significant only to you. Some of them may be sacred and quietly beautiful. Some may build one upon another until they represent a lifetime of special experiences. "

~Gordon B. Hinckley

Friday, July 16, 2010

"Get a Grip" Girls Camp 2010

A reflection on the week:

*We have awesome girls. I'm serious. They where fun to be around, listen when I needed them to, did what needed to get done, and all certified with out any hand holding. Plus, they're a ton of fun. What more could a tent mom ask for, really?

*All Young Women presidencies should go to girls camp. I gained a better understand of each YWs strengths & needs and walked away loving them more from the experience. On top of that, we as a presidency where strengthened. We learned from each other, laughed with each other, and got to know each other better. I better understand where they are each coming from and what challenges they each face. It was win-win.

*During Commitment night, they blind-folded each person and sent them one by one down a path with the only instruction being hold tight to the rod (a rope strung along the path). As each person carefully walked down the path they encountered obstacles and temptations, such as girls trying coming up to you (sometimes even pulling on you) and saying "come with me I know a better way." Some temptations where blatant, "Come to this party with me, your parents will never know" while other seemed good "let go of the rope and let me safely guide you around the hole ahead." I was bring up the rear of the group and had the opportunity to watch as each of my YW was blind folded and sent on their way. Some proceeded timidly while other took off with confidence. I wanted to go with each of them so that I could protect them, guide them, keep them away from harm but I could not. No matter how much I loved them, this was something they had to do on their own. Man was that hard! Even harder, completing the course myself to find that only a few girls had made it without letting go of the rope. We waited with anticipation, hoping that they would be the next to emerge. A glimpse of what it my be like for our heavenly father as he watches us excise I our free agency praying that we will not let Satan trick us in to going down his path. This will be an experience that both the girls and myself will carry with us forever. I pray that I will know the things that I need teach and do to help both my own children and our Young Women make it safely.

*Looking at repentance as a gift. When talking with some of the girls that had let go of the rope after commitment night, it became very clear that repentance is a great gift we can all exercise. When we make a mistake, we can repent of our sins and be made clean once again (forgiven & forgotten). We are given another chance. During commitment night, when one would let go of the rope they would go talk with the priesthood leaders about repentance and because repentance gives us another chance, they where able to start the course again. It was a great visual to help drive another aspect of the gospel home.

* I love the outdoors. Nothing compares to the beauty and peacefulness that one experiences when leaving behind the city and all that causes distractions in one's life. Don't be getting any crazy ideas, just because I love the outdoors doesn't mean you will be seeing me doing any real "ruffing it" camping. Cots, Biffy's, and running water near by is as ruff as will ever catch me doing. I much prefer staying in heated cabins, running water at each camp site and the nice bathroom/shower house being only a short walk away. :)

And any review is not complete with out a few pictures...

The ward
Teaching the girls to cook Biscuits over the fire. Getting ready to go homeAwesome leaders (myself, Edna, & April) When you tell them they're crazy, it only encourages the silliness. :)Until next year....

No comments: