Let me share a story with you. I'm sure that this will mean nothing to you however I feel I need to share how my testimony has been strengthened in a mere 24 hours period.
First a little background: For the past 7 months I have been the 1st counselor in our church's Young Womens program (it's a youth program for girls ages 12-18). My primary responsibly is to work with the 14 & 15 year olds. It have been a very trying calling, as I learn the program, get to know the girls, and find how to balance my time while still doing my other duties as wife, mother, volunteer, etc. For the past month of so I have been feverishly working to get the mid-week activities planned for the year after feeling prompted to a few fast Sundays ago. I would not go as far as to say I'm totally comfortable in my calling or that I have it all figured out by any means but I was feeling less and less stressed with each event or situation that I was in charge of.
Imagine my surprised when I received a call Saturday evening to let me know that my entire presidency was being released and was thanked for all that we have done. I was filled with emotions, relief (hooray I'll have my Wed. nights back! Imagine all the things I can do with my time!) and sadness (I really was just getting into it, loving the girls, and was so close to completing my own Personal Progress).
A little while later, I received another call from the bishopric, just as all of my feeling had begin to really set in. I'll admit I was a bit teary eyed. The new president had asked me to return as her counselor filling the same role as I had previously being doing. I of course excepted and was overwhelmed with relief, which surprised me. I think a lot of it had to do with the fact that I already knew what to do and had a plan in place and was ready to roll.
The next morning at church as they released & sustained not only my presidency but Primary, part of Relief Society, and many more callings. I was sustained as 2nd counselor. Wait, that's not what I was excepting...did they say that right? The next hour my head was spinning with so many thoughts. They must have read wrong, that's not what I was prepared for. Suddenly I was feeling way more overwhelmed and I'll admit it, a bit upset. After the meeting I talked with my new presidency and bishopric. They had made a mistake when they talked with me Saturday night. I really was just called as the 2nd counselor. I accepted with a smile on my face but had so many other thoughts swirling around in my head.
As I was being set apart in my new calling all the doubt, feeling of my time being waste in preparing for the year, having to start all over again with another age group, and the overwhelming feelings disappeared as I listen to the words being said. Our bishopric members are men of God that are so spiritually in tune. Every blessing they gave that afternoon was so very specific to the person that they where giving it to. Not one blessing was even remotely close to being the same. I also know this because they addressed the very specific thoughts I had not voiced to anyone. My heavenly Father really does know me personally! He has a plan and for whatever the reason I need to move over and focus my attention on the girls that have just moved in to the Young Women's program. I look forward to getting to know them better. As a matter of fact, in the last month or so I've noticed I know very little about any of our younger girls and rarely have had the chance to spend any time with them. I'm excited to get working with my new presidency and hope that they will become as good of friends as my last presidency has been. It's amazing how much you grow to love someone as you serve along side them.
2 comments:
What a great experience. I hope you enjoy your new calling.
Thanks for sharing your experience. You are such an inspiration to so many. The girls are lucky to have you as a positive example in their lives!!
Post a Comment